During 2012 Kloof Conservancy embarked on a new series of events aimed at educating the public and trying to attract younger members through a series of fun, environmental education events. These events, branded as the Back to Nature Event Series, have a very serious educational content but at the same time activities are carried out in a fun way involving all family members.
In addition to providing an educational component the decision was made to have the events take place at different conservation venues in the Kloof area thus exposing these venues to a broader public.
Another component of the events is to fund-raise either for the venue or for the project being featured on the day.
Events are usually run as joint ventures with other environmental organisations
Events have included:
- Butterfly Days with the Lepidopterists Society of Africa
- Bird Days with BirdLife Port Natal
- River Day with Dr Mark Graham of Groundtruth
- Frog Days with Dr Jeanne Tarrant of the EWT Endangered Amphibian programme
- Reptile Days with Byron Zimmerman/Pat McKrill/Nick Evans
- Happy Hounds Days with Mandy Barratt of the Dog Guru
- Tree Day with Gill Whittinton-Banda of MuthiFuthi
- Museum Day with the Durban Natural Science Museum
- Dangerous Creatures from Catchment to Sea with uShaka Marine World